Matt Beatty is a trial lawyer who represents business entities, individuals and governmental units in commercial litigation. In addition to his broad litigation practice, Matt represents clients in business formation, risk assessment, and litigation prevention. Matt understands that litigation and risk management involve business decisions to be made by business people. As a business lawyer, Matt makes it his priority to provide his clients with legal representation that facilitates and advances their business interests.
Business & Commercial Litigation
. Matt represents individuals and business entities in contract disputes, shareholder and partnership disputes, fiduciary relations, corporate fraud and deceptive trade practices. Examples include:
- Representation of clients with respect to the enforcement and defense of claims arising from partnership, shareholder and other corporate agreements.
- Representation of clients with respect to employment disputes including non-competition agreements, fiduciary obligations and claims by the Equal Opportunity Commission and the Department of Justice.
- Representation of clients with respect to the negotiation and performance of sales and purchase contracts.
- Representation of clients involving state and local government, open meetings laws, disclosure of public information and government process.
- Representation of clients involving technology licensing and copyright infringement.
- Representation of clients involving complex indemnification and insurance coverage matters.
- Representation of clients in litigation involving health care administration.
Manufacturing. Matt represents manufacturers and suppliers in litigation and risk management involving the manufacture, sale, distribution and regulation of products placed in the stream of commerce. Examples include:
- Representation of major automobile and vehicle manufacturers in warranty disputes, deceptive trade practices and products liability claims.
- Representation of automobile manufacturers and dealers with respect to dealer relations.
- Representation of technology manufacturers with respect to warranty, products liability and indemnification issues in sale and distribution contracts.
- Representation of manufacturers in litigation risk management and assessment.
Construction. Matt represents public and private entities as well as general contractors, subcontractors, and developers in all aspects of the construction business. Examples include:
- Representation of clients regarding disputes involving scope of work, warranty, payment and delay claims in commercial construction projects.
- Representation of general contractors and subcontractors in construction defect disputes in commercial, residential and multi-family contexts.
- Representation of clients in construction contract negotiations.
- Mechanic’s liens.
- Insurance and indemnities.
Energy. Matt has significant litigation experience representing producers, working interest owners, contractors, and pipelines in the energy sector. Examples include:
- Representation of working interest owners involving joint operating agreement disputes with operators.
- Representation of parties to indemnity agreements involving “excess royalty” litigation.
- Representation of parties involving surface use disputes.
Administrative. Matt represents clients in issues relating to state agencies including contested cases before the State Office of Administrative Hearings. Examples include:
- Representation of clients involving the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission relating to licensing and enforcement;
- Representation of clients involving the Texas Motor Vehicle Division and the Texas Lemon Law.
- Representation of clients with insurance matters involving the Texas Department of Insurance.
Real Estate. Matt represents clients in matters relating to the sale, acquisition and leasing of commercial and residential property. He also represents property owners and property management firms in landlord-tenant disputes. Examples include:
- Representation of buyers and sellers of real property in disputes over “reps and warranties”.
- Representation of clients seeking and defending claims for specific performance.
- Representation of clients in commercial and residential leasing disputes and contract negotiations.
Automotive Industry. Matt has extensive experience representing automobile manufacturers and dealers in all aspects of the industry. Examples include:
- Defense of automobile manufacturers in warranty disputes, deceptive trade practices, and products liability claims.
- Representation of clients in disputes relating to manufacturer and dealer relations.
- Representation of clients before the Texas Department of Transportation.
- Design, implementation and management of a national pre-litigation dispute resolution program for a major automobile manufacturer.
- Regulatory compliance.
- Special counsel for class-action litigation relating to diesel engines.
PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS & EDUCATION
- Admitted to state bar Texas, 1997.
- Admitted before the U.S. District Courts for the Western and Southern Districts of Texas.
- Admitted before the U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit.
- Texas Tech University, B.A. Finance 1993, cum laude.
- South Texas College of Law, JD 1997, with honors.
- South Texas Law Review.
- Moot Court National Champion of Oral Advocacy, University of Connecticut 1996.
- Finalist, First Amendment Forum Moot Court Competition, Vanderbilt University 1997.
- Repeat Intramural Mock Trial Champion.
- Order of Lytae.
- Order of Barristers.