Keith Strama represents clients from diverse industries before the Texas Legislature and state agencies on public policy and regulatory matters. He works closely with clients in the areas of energy, insurance, telecommunications, education technology, environmental regulation, health care and direct marketing. He has been involved with candidates and campaigns in local, statewide, legislative, and congressional races. Based on his experience working with candidates and campaigns, Keith is able to inform and advise clients regarding political action committee contributions and other political and legislative activities. In addition to his extensive work with the Texas Legislature, Keith works closely with state agencies with regard to regulatory matters. Keith has experience working with numerous agencies, including the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission, the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality, the Texas Railroad Commission, the Texas Department of Insurance, the Texas Medical Board, Texas Department of State Health Services, Texas Health & Human Services Commission, Texas Attorney General, Texas Comptroller, Texas Education Agency, and the Texas Ethics Commission. Keith has also worked on various commercial trial cases.
- Representation of major oil and gas company in drafting and enacting legislation relating to royalty reporting. This legislation has become a model for states throughout the country. Download brief »
- Representation of association of travel agents to modify franchise tax law to ensure travel agents are not adversely affected by new business tax.
Read more »
- Representation of independent insurance agents in Texas related to drafting revisions to major insurance reform legislation to ensure a balance between consumer protection and the need to maintain a competitive insurance industry in Texas.
- Obtained financial relief for shrimp industry in Texas through legislation designed to help struggling industry.
- Representation of major financial company in drafting and enacting legislation that regulates wire transfers in Texas.
- Obtained exemption for Texas camps from law prohibiting use of certain vehicles in riverbeds.
- Representation of major oil and gas client in drafting and enacting legislation relating to taxation of fuels in Texas.
- Representation of client in drafting and enacting legislation that provided tax relief to homeowners whose property had been damaged due to natural disaster.
- Representation of freestanding emergency center in successful legislative effort to enact legislation setting standards for licensing.
- Obtained very favorable settlement for large restaurant chain facing penalties from the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission.
- Representation of large financial company in obtaining favorable ruling from the Texas Attorney General's office protecting valuable trade secret information.
- Representation of large vendor at airports in obtaining permits from Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission.
- Work on rule drafting for licensing of freestanding emergency health center by the Department of State Health Services.
- Participation in various commercial trial cases concerning oil and gas disputes and construction law.
- Preparation of Amicus brief on behalf of royalty owners, which was cited extensively in a landmark Texas Supreme Court ruling in favor of client’s position to protect the use of hydraulic practicing in Texas and to preserve the statute of limitations.
- Create trade associations and assist with legislative and administrative policy.
EDUCATION AND PROFESSIONAL BACKGROUND
- Beatty Bangle Strama P.C. (Shareholder 2006- Present)
- McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, L.L.P. (Associate 1999-2005, Partner 2006)
- The University of Houston Law Center, J.D. 1999
- The University of Texas School of Law (1998-99)
- Colorado College, B.A. 1995
- Universidad de Pais Basco, 1993
- Legislative Aide: Representative Craig Eiland, Texas House of Representatives (1999)
- Admitted to Practice: Texas, 1999
ACTIVITIES AND AFFILIATIONS
- Austin Bar Association
- Austin Young Lawyers Association
- The University of Texas-Texas Invitational Mock Trial Team, Coach
- Co-author, English-Only Rules in the Workplace in Texas, Texas Bar Journal (February 2001)
- Co-author, Chapter 45 (Texas), Lobbying, PACs, and Campaign Finance 50 State Handbook, State Capital Law Firm Group, 2002 Edition