Eddie Lucio has represented individuals, local government entities, and businesses on a variety of legal matters. Eddie manages and oversees the firm’s Water Law Division. In addition, Eddie currently serves as City Attorney for Rio Hondo, Texas. In addition, Representative Lucio serves in the Texas House of Representatives representing District 38, a position he has held since 2007.
- Current City Attorney for the City of Rio Hondo.
- Represents the Rio Grande Regional Water Authority working with the Federal Government to encourage Mexico to comply with its Water Treaty obligations to the Rio Grande River.
- Represents the Hidalgo County Drainage Districts with interpretation and application to the State Water Plan via the Texas Water Development Board.
- Established a law practice from the ground up with a focus on family, criminal, civil litigation and contract law.
- Counseled clients through a variety of family law matters including divorce, child custody, division of assets, parent facilitation, mediation etc., helping them navigate the complex procedural process.
- Served as local bond counsel for the issuance of bonds for Cameron County and Cameron County RMA.
- Managed commercial business law and litigation practice including personal injury, insurance defense, and contract review.
- Served as general counsel for clients in the medical profession.
- Assisted real estate developers and other clients in obtaining variances from local regulatory ordinances and zoning process.
- Mediator: resolved conflicts as a mediator between opposing parties using alternative dispute resolution methodology.
- Advocated on behalf of clients in front of the Department of Labor, board of adjustments, zoning committees, and city commissions.
- Developed litigation skills through arguing motions in county and district courts, assisting out of area attorneys as local counsel and assisting courts in an ad litem capacity in both civil and tax suits.
- Maintained an extensive network of contacts with the judiciary, political, legal, and business communities in order to advocate on behalf of clients and develop a new client base.
- Assisted clients in land development business to comply with local state and federal regulations.
Current & Previous Committee Assignments: Natural Resources, Environmental Regulation, State Affairs, Appropriations, Government Efficiency and Reform- Vice Chairman, Special Purpose Districts, Federalism and Fiscal Responsibility, Calendars- Vice Chairman
Member: National Association of Latino Elected and Appointed Officials; National Conference of State Legislators, National Hispanic Caucus of State Legislators, Council of State Governments, Mexican American Legislative Caucus, Manufacturers Caucus, Women’s Health Caucus, Tourism Caucus, House Energy Caucus, Veterans Caucus
Awards: Twice Awarded the “Best of the Texas House” Award –Combined Law Enforcement Associations of Texas, Legislator of the Year Award for Legislative Excellence – Texas Public Health Association, Toll Fellow-Council of State Governments
Environment & Natural Resources:
- Chairman of the Green Schools Caucus, Air Quality Caucus Member.
- Established the Rio Grande Valley Annual Environmental Summit – The event brings together community leaders and elected officials to address the pressing environmental issues facing South Texas.
- Established the Rio Grande Valley Annual Water Summit - The event increases public awareness on the value of water and the importance of water conservation efforts.
- Authored and passed legislation that established energy efficiency standards for state facilities and vehicles and created the “Don’t Mess With Texas Water” program which prevents pollution that affects the surface water of Texas.
- Joint-Author of the Texas State Water Funding Plan which establishes a revolving state water fund to plan and finance water projects that would meet the water needs of Texas for the next 50 years.
- Currently lead author on comprehensive water district legislation which would allow water districts to operate in a way which would more accurately reflect current water supply conditions.
- Authored and passed historic language creating a Medicaid Buy-In Program for families of children with special needs.
- Authored and passed groundbreaking legislation creating the foundation for the first medical school in deep South Texas.
- Joint authored legislation expanding insurance coverage for children with autism and requiring insurance companies to provide coverage for prosthetics.
- Successfully passed legislation awarding veterans up to a full semesters worth of college credit for their military service.
- Joint authored legislation that created the Texas Armed Services Scholarship Program and expanded the funding for the Texas Fund for Veterans' Assistance.
- Successfully passed legislation that established football helmet inspection standards.
- Current lead author on legislation establishing baseline testing that would be used when determining a student-athletes' return to play after suffering a concussion and allowing only one full contact football practice per week.
EDUCATION AND PROFESSIONAL BACKGROUND
- Admitted to the State Bar of Texas, 2005
- Admitted before the U.S. District Courts for the Southern Districts of Texas, 2010
- Texas Tech University, B.A. Marketing, 2001
• University of Texas at Austin, Doctorate of Jurisprudence, 2005